10.11.2011

Recipe: FAIL

Ready for another laughable failure?

I saw these on Pinterest a while back, bookmarked the page, and bought all the ingredients last week to make it. 

I mean, don't they look amazing?


image found on her blog.

Reading the ingredients, they sounded easy enough, so to the kitchen I went. I cannot begin to describe to you how excited I was to make these. Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations, second to chocolate and raspberry. Anyway, here is the recipe:

**************************************************

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
by Greta White

Combine:
1 pkg. plain yellow cake mix
1 stick melted butter
1 c. creamy peanut butter
2 eggs

Press this into a 9X13 pan reserving 1 1/2 c. of the mixture to crumble on top.

Melt:
1 (12 oz) pkg. chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 T. butter
Melt on low heat in a small pot. Remove from heat and add:
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. coconut (optional...my sister did not like the texture of it in there)
Spread chocolate mixture over the mixture pressed in the pan and then crumble the 1 1/2 of reserved cake mixture on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

**********************************************************

I'm sure they're amazing. Problem is, when you "reserve 1 1/2 c. of the mixture to crumble on top", I totally read that to mean take out a cup and a half of the yellow cake MIX, because that would crumble, right? A mixture of cake mix, butter, peanut butter, and eggs wouldn't crumble. RIGHT?!?! I'm trying to assure myself that I'm not crazy. 

Anyway, in case you make this, you're supposed to mix those first four ingredients, and take a cup and a half of THAT mixture to SPREAD on top.  Powdery cake mix will not bake in the oven. Just to let you know. It's all in the details, folks.  :)


My masterpiece.
Which was still delicious, I'll have you know. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment